Friday 5 February 2010

Albert Owen asked to repay £983.57 in expenses

    
From the BBC website:

Albert Owen (Ynys Mon), Labour: Overpaid £400 for food and £583.57 on mortgage payments.
Mr Owen said the review team had issues relating to mortgage interest in 2004 and 2008.
He said: "I complied with the request for full information and it demonstrated an under payment in 2004-05 and an over payment in 2008-09. Had this information been available to me at the time I would have supplied it and altered my claims accordingly.
"I have also paid back for subsistence/food which was claimed under the wrong heading of food instead of 'other items'. This followed advice I was given at the time. While I accept the decision I was disappointed that the review team was arbitrary and only concentrated on the over-claim, despite an under-claim of a similar amount in 2004-05. I did not appeal against the recommendation as I have supported the new rules including independent external audits."
Total £983.57 - paid.

The Druid has looked at Albert Owen's expenses previously here.


UPDATE: The room bookings on the Palace Estate files have also now been published online so we can see who MPs have been inviting to official functions in the Houses of Commons. Here's the data for Albert Owen:

  • November 2004: A dinner for 38 people in Dining Room A on behalf of "The Industrial Pioneer" - a trades union periodical
  • April 2008: A dinner for 13 people in Dining Room D for Anglesey Aluminium*
  • March 2009: A breakfast for 16 people in the Astor Suite for the Aluminium Federation*

* It should be noted to Albert Owen's credit that he is the Chair of the all-party group on the Aluminium industry - not that it was enough to save the job losses at Anglesey Aluminium.
  

2 comments:

Alwyn ap Huw said...

Were you in the reception held by Elfyn Llwyd on 11/10/2006?

Paul Williams said...

I was not - and I want to know why I wasn't invited!