"I wish to inform you that I intend to continue as Leader of the Council until the Annual General Meeting on May, 2011 ... I will not be putting my name forward for a further period as Leader of the authority."
The BBC further reports that Clive McGregor sent the letter in response to members both inside and outside the Alliance seeking to replace him with a new Leader. We will no doubt only have a short wait to discover if this letter will be enough to persuade those county councillors who are dissatisfied with Clive McGregor to wait until May. If they do continue to press for him to stand down right away, the crucial test will be how Elan Closs Stephens and the rest of the Recovery Board will view the takeover and the possible effects it will have on the recovery process. A lot will hang on who the new Leader will be -- if, for instance, they put forward a Labour councillor as the new Leader it will surely be politically difficult for a Labour-led coalition in Cardiff Bay to state that the recovery process has irreparably broken down and send in the Commissioners...
UPDATE Jan 10 14:20: The BBC are reporting that opposition group leaders will meet later today to discuss whether to force a vote of no confidence or not. I understand that this meeting will also include some coalition member group leaders too.