|The Welsh Florence|
Nightingale is ill...
Do they lie with Parliament? Well, as the coalition government has pledged to ring-fence NHS spending and increase it with inflation, its hard to see that Westminster is immediately responsible.
The recently leaked McKinsey report (which WAG Health Minister Edwina Hart attempted to suppress) could provide some clues. It identified the following failures within the Welsh NHS, including that revelation that many initiatives were 'financially unaffordable':
- Strategic objectives in the NHS were too numerous and not prioritised so "none or the wrong ones were implemented";
- objectives were "politically unviable";
- clinical staff did not "own the strategy";
- implementation lacked accountability; and
- initiatives were "financially unaffordable".
Another possibility was suggested by a member of the Druid family who works at Ysbyty Gwynedd, who said that many of the current financial problems are a consequence of large amounts of red ink at the Glan Clwyd Hospital. In the past these budget deficits would have been localised in each Local Health Board, but now that the whole of North Wales has been combined to create Betsi Cadawaladr, all of the North Wales Hospitals are having to be pared back to balance the books.
I wonder if any readers with knowledge of these matters can give us some greater insight?